Feeding the world for over 90 years
Riceland Foods and its family farmers have provided the world with wholesome, nutritious rice since 1921. Grown in the United States, our rice is known for its high quality and versatility, and that's why Riceland has become a trusted brand around the globe. Riceland is a unique company. We're a cooperative, which means we are owned by our 5,500 family farmer members who are also our stockholders and growers.
PBH Rice Hulls
PBH Nature's Media Amendment is a natural co-product of rice offering nursery and greenhouse growers many advantages. A product of Riceland Foods, Inc., PBH rice hulls are uniquely processed and parboiled to verify purity and cleanliness.
In the nursery, PBH is used as a container topdress to help prevent weed seed germination and growth. A layer of 1 to 2 inches of PBH rice hulls prevents air-borne weed seeds from reaching the growing mix and germinating. This not only manages weeds, including liverwort, but can also reduce herbicide use, reduce phytotoxicity in herbicide-sensitive plants, dramatically decrease hand weeding and reduce watering and drought stress. All for just pennies per container.
In the greenhouse, PBH rice hulls are used as a perlite replacement to create optimum porosity and drainage. PBH rice hulls are dramatically less dusty, provide a more natural color and available at a lower basic cost than perlite.
Available in 30-cubic-foot bales or 50-pound bags.
PBH Nature's Media Amendment in the Nursery
PBH rice hulls are a product of Riceland Foods, Inc. used as a container topdress to manage weeds in the nursery environment. These uniquely processed and parboiled rice hulls are a readily renewable resource supporting sustainable plant production.
PBH in the Nursery
PBH rice hulls are a uniquely processed natural product used as a topdress material on field grown nursery containers to help prevent weed seed germination and growth. With a sufficient layer of PBH rice hulls in nursery containers, weed seeds are captured in the rice hull zone and are unable to reach the growing mix and make the seed-to-soil contact necessary to germinate and grow. This grower-developed approach to container weed control is a simple process that works.
Consider the Benefits
- Topdress of one to two inches helps prevent air-borne weeds seeds from reaching the growing media and germinating
- Dramatically reduces container weeds, including tough ones such as liverwort
- Excellent potential for fewer herbicide applications
- Better use of labor by significantly reducing hand-weeding and expense
- Can help reduce phytotoxicity in herbicide-sensitive material
- Potential for reduced watering and drought stress
- Apply PBH rice hulls at potting, prior to watering
- Can be applied by hand or with suitable topdress equipment
- Costs only pennies per container
- Helps reduce input costs and improve profit margins
PBH Nature's Media Amendment in the Greenhouse
PBH Nature's Media Amendment is a uniquely processed rice hull product used by greenhouse growers as a replacement for perlite in the growing mix.
PBH in the Greenhouse
PBH rice hulls are a natural product used as a replacement for perlite in greenhouse growing media. It is a number one choice for sustainable plant production and a whole lot more.
Consider the Benefits
- Ideal size, shape and bulking properties create optimum porosity and drainage
- Lower basic cost and dramatically less dusty than perlite
- Highly compressed standard bag or bulk bale reduces freight, labor, waste, storage
- About one-third fewer deliveries -- 7 truckloads of PBH versus 10 of perlite
- Natural color blends well with other media components
- University researched, grower proven
- Offers environmental, horticultural and economic advantages
- Provides sustainability, quality and value